Aztec Commercial Hardware & Bearing History
Aztec Commercial Hardware & Bearing has been serving Nevada for over 100 years. With what first started individually as Aztec Bearing and Commercial Hardware, the two separate businesses found great success in their respective fields. Aztec Bearing as experts in bearings while Commercial Hardware was a formidable competitor in casters and hardware.
Commercial Hardware was founded in 1904 by J.E. Horgan in Reno, NV. It supplied equipment and hardware to mines and local businesses. In 1931, after gambling was legalized, the company grew alongside the city’s casino industry. In 1947, a second store was opened on East Fourth Street, operating for 50 years. In 1977, the business was sold to the sons of the Horgan brothers. Facing competition from large retailers in 1995, the business was sold again to the Wallner, England, and Hough families. In 1997, Commercial Hardware relocated to its current location in Las Vegas. It experienced growth by acquiring other industrial supply companies over the next 15 years. In 2022, Hoffmeyer Co, Inc purchased both stores and combined the two into what we know as Aztec Commercial Hardware & Bearing.
M.M. Cook & Son was founded in 1860 by Captain Matthew M. Cook, a San Francisco sea captain who later passed the business to his son, Horatio Nelson Cook. Horatio renamed it H.N. Cook Belting Company and became a supplier of leather hose, belting, and fire buckets to various cities and industries. Meanwhile, Albert J. Hoffmeyer established Hoffmeyer Belting and Supply Company in 1921, specializing in conveyor belting and industrial products. Over time, both companies experienced growth and adaptation, leading to their merger in 1986 as Hoffmeyer/Cook Company. Later, San Diego Rubber Co Inc. acquired Hoffmeyer Corp in 1994, resulting in Hoffmeyer Co, Inc. Subsequently, Hoffmeyer expanded through acquisitions and continues to seek further growth opportunities. They offer a comprehensive range of products and pride themselves on their quality assurance program, serving industrial needs for over 150 years.